Thursday 6 September 2012

Pre IM Canada race report


I just thought before I put together my race report for IM Canada I would jot down a few notes on what has being going on post Frankfurt, and why I decided to go again and race another IM this year.

Firstly Frankfurt is done and dusted, consigned to history.

On my return from Frankfurt I had zero intention of racing another IM this year, simply because I did not think I was mentally up for it. I received tons of txts and e mail telling me chin up and all that. I sought counsel from 3 good friends, each didnt know I asked the other the same question, but you wouldnt believe how similar the reply e mails were.

So there I had what I needed, 3 different people, from different parts of the world telling me I was good enough.

It still was not enough for me, my main goal in Frankfurt was Kona.. simple as that!
now the difference was I did not care about Kona ( may be a wee white one there)

I needed to get my head round just doing a race for me..only me!

I asked myself one simple question.. Why do I race and love IM, and one thing just kept popping into my mind.. It was not the glory of crossing the finish line, nor the constant hours and hours of training which I love.

In frankfurt the one thing I missed most was in the athletes area post race, when you look at a guy/girl who you have no idea  is in the eye...and without even speaking a word, you have a respect!! It did not matter what time either had done... you both were equal! Hobbling into the showers, still not a word, only the look of respect. Sitting round looking at all the men and women limping in pain, and knowing, yeah i am one of them!!! And thats all I wanted back.. THE LOOK! simple as that.

So here I was after what was a big let down, to figuring why I have raced And kept coming back for more all these years. Every cloud eh!!

So from that moment it was forward, no looking back! Full gas IM canada:)

No comments:

Post a Comment